Thursday, September 30, 2010

T-shirt recycling.

I have a couple of t-shirts and a couple of cotton zip hoodies I want to get rid of, but I'm too sentimental to say goodbye. Can they be used for other things? Can I be thrifty or creative? Oh yes I can!
  • Cleaning rags is an obvious one, instead of buying chux. I used some in my recent mould war.
  • I have a headband I made out of an old t-shirt. It is great for jogging or keeping hair dry when washing my face. Kind of a shower cap, too.

In a search on the net I found:
  • Long-sleeved tops and hoods can be made into sling bags. I wouldn't bother. I already have bags. But it would look cool. Sew the bottom together, knot the sleeves.
  • As seat covers for chairs. Sensible, but probably daft-looking.
  • A braided rug for a bathmat or something. Cut strips, plait them into a long rope, and then sew the rope into a rug shape. Or possibly weave them.
  • Some sort of quilt. An ugly quilt made of memories that I don't have to keep pretty and clean. But it means saving up enough shirts to make a decent blanket.
  • Cushions and pillows. This one is very cool.

4 comments:

/Karen/ said...

Don't forget T-shirt yarn (tutorial). I've never been game to do it but it looks interesting.

Jessica said...

I could knit a mobius or an ishbel out of a tshirt! But I notice you need the sort that has no side seams. All mine are fitted. I'm leaning towards rag-rug...

/Karen/ said...

Bag tutorial http://pm-betweenthelines.blogspot.com/2010/03/quick-fix-grocery-bag-tutorial.html

Jessica said...

AWESOME!!!!!