Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Big patchwork cushions.

A while ago I spent nearly a whole Sunday making patchwork squares out of quilt fabric leftovers. I ended up with seven I think, and was probably going to make a whole lot of cushions with them. But I changed my mind because that is a lot of cluttery cushions, and not very trendy cushions either.
I had a genius idea last week, to make them up into just two jumbo cushion covers!

I made a pinkish one out of a pinkish square and a lot of other strips and scraps, including a square cut from a favourite worn out shirt (a sentimental touch). I laid it out on the coffee table, then sewed the bits together. I aimed to make it about 22" square but it's not a perfect square in the end. But it looks lovely. I like that I was using up scraps, which is what patchwork originally evolved as.


I made a blueish one, slightly bigger, just by sewing 4 squares together. I'm now on the lookout for giant zippers, and jumbo cushion inserts.

No comments: