Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Audiobook happy!

I'm listening to Ender's Game at the moment, it's a page-turner. I heard it was like Harry Potter in space, but it's a lot more dry and intense. Poor Ender is more exhausted and traumatised than Harry. More like Katniss in the 3rd Hunger Games book. The games in the fleet school are really fun to listen to though. Mostly all they do is play army-style laser tag in anti-gravity rooms. So much better than quidditch.

I wonder if I am becoming too lazy to read a book with my eyes. But audiobooks are so good for multitasking, I can "read" them while I sew, or fall asleep, or on public transport (I get sick reading on the bus and also the ipod is so convenient). And a good reader doing all the accents is fun. I worry that I'm missing out on creating my own version of the world though. My dilemma is, should I download the new Discworld book from Audible (and if so, the unabridged version or the abridged one read by the wonderful Tony Robinson?), or get the actual book and enjoy the pure read. But it might take a while to get the book, whereas the audiobook is available instantly. Although I need my Audible credits for Christmas presents and if I spend them on a book for myself I'll have to come up with another idea for someone else, which is to be avoided.

2 comments:

bec said...

Did you get the Ender's Game performance thing, or is it a straight read of the book? I haven't read it yet.

Jessica said...

Straight read. I prefer a straight read to a dramatisation. However there are several different people reading and sometimes they do conversations together. I enjoyed it a lot but I'm not planning to get others in the series.