Thursday, December 12, 2013

Twelve Clues of Christmas, a Royal Spyness Mystery.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Mysteries-Thrillers/The-Twelve-Clues-of-Christmas-Audiobook/B00A9VCE4U/ref=a_hp_c1_1_t

This was $5 on Audible recently. I think it's currently $10. If you like Midsomer Murders and Phryne Fisher you will like this book. It's fun, predictable, and stupid, and just well-written enough to be slightly addictive. Like Midsomer, there are a lot of deaths in a village and nobody is really sad about them. I did like all the ancient English Christmas traditions and playing sardines and doing a panto and charming things (it's set in the 1920s). I hated the Irish accent the reader used for the love interest (only a problem if you get the audiobook obviously). One thing that surprised me in myself was that whenever Lady Georgie fights off the advances of sleazy posh men, I don't think it's that comedic. There's some line somewhere where outrageous behaviour goes from amusingly inappropriate to technically criminal, and I don't tolerate it any more. You don't go into a girl's bedroom at night while she is a bit drunk and try to "have your way" with her against her ladylike protestations. Another way to describe that is attempted rape. You see? somewhere between amusingly inappropriate and criminal. But it's all OK in the end because the hapless maid Queenie saves the day with a big water jug. Anyway, a book in this series MAY be made into a movie, which I would like to see, but I doubt it will happen. And the love interest is called Darcy. That's all you need to know. $5 well spent.

No comments: