Friday, December 13, 2013

Feet.

What exciting things have been going on! Podiatry! Here are all the details of my feet, because I'm interested (if not obsessed).

I've got high arches. Lovely dancer feet, or, the feet of a true lady because water can run under them, or, an evolutionary throwback from when we used our feet to hang upside down from tree branches. Possibly all true. Anyway, that means less stability while walking, and I walk a lot. Many years ago I had sore knees and hips, got custom-made orthotics and have been wearing enclosed shoes and walking without pain ever since. Earlier this year I switched from my standard Jillian DVD to one with more cardio, ie, jumping and jogging on the spot, and after a couple of months I had plantar facilitis, which is an inflamed tendon thing. So I tried to rest and ice my foot and it gradually hurt less but still lingered and it was probably time for new orthotics anyway, so I got my feet checked out this week, casts of my feet were made, and have new orthotics. Off-the-shelf arch supports wont work for me, I asked, but my feet are too unusual. I just have to get expensive professional ones every 3 years or so. But the cost per wear is good! And the cost of being pain-free is totally worth it.

First time I wore them they felt lumpy, unbalancing and made my left foot hurt after half an hour. The second time, they felt a bit weird still, because it's walking at a different angle than normal, but no pain. Full transition takes a week or two.

It's surprising how much maintenance a HEALTHY body needs to stay in tune. I'm so grateful I can get orthotics and braces so that I can walk and yawn and eat normally.

And the other end of things, my fingers, are getting treated to 4 new colours of OPI that were on sale. 4 of these are mine: the two at the front, the blue and the almost black.



No comments: