Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Weekend in Maitland.


Changed my first flat tyre at 8am on Saturday morning with Dad on speakerphone.


Me and mum did what she calls 'cafe therapy'.

I sorted and threw away the treasures and creations of my childhood. I literally collected treasures and kept them in treasure boxes. 20 years ago my definition of a treasure was broad and interesting. I was into tiny containers for things like stock cubes or tic tacs, sitckers, codes and spy stuff, anything with a horse on it, anything I made myself. I found the first thing I probably ever sewed, and some very strange things I spent a lot of time and painstaking attention on. It wasn't as sad as I thought, sorting through everything, taking a photo of each item, and then throwing it away. Mum watched me do it. It was a little bit amusing, and quite insightful to see the connection between child me and adult me.



 The first thing I ever sewed, probably.


A spy kit. Fake matches, little note paper, glasses for a disguise.


A code wheel for spy codes.


Also my home-school projects. We didn't throw these out. My interests were very specific and I was very absorbed in my research and presentation of subjects that interested me. There are definite clues that I was going to be a graphic designer already, looking at the layout of these projects.



Did some more finding missed stitches on my cross stitch.

Went for a walk with mum and dad along the river and around Maitland a bit. It was interesting. I'd never been to Horseshoe Bend.

Caught the train back on Monday morning which was really nice. A sunny long train ride is a strangely peaceful way to start a Monday morning, and I went a little bit after the peak hour rush.

No comments: