Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Anastasia.



I watched Anastasia twice on Saturday while sewing. Not so much watching as singing along. It's one of those childhood movies that is widely under-rated but passionately loved by a few. Anastasia is everything: animation, romantic comedy, musical. It could be better, it could be worked up into something bigger, but the ingredients are right. Epic political background like in Les Mis, snow, Russian palaces, Paris, charming conmen, a red-headed heroine, love divided by class. It could lose the puppy and Rasputin being undead, but there's not a single bad song and the the voice talent was first class. It could be more.

Yes, Anastasia the musical. Angela Lansbury, original voice of the Dowager Empress, will be in it. Aaron Tveit, Enjolras in Les Mis and also the imaginary son from Next to Normal, will be in it. I hope it happens, and I hope I go to America and see it. Because I probably would. Unfortunately all I can find are casting rumours from 6 months ago, so I guess it's a long way away.

Speaking of Next to Normal, I forgot that it is a good musical, despite the heavy subject matter: family and mental illness. I love the song 'A Light in the Dark', and this one, 'My Psychopharmacologist And I'.


I'm going to Oliver! this Friday, to round off this musical theater ramble.

No comments: