Monday, March 4, 2013

Second shirt weekend.

I'm pretty much done for shirting I think. I've got it down to a smooth operation now though. Half a day, one shirt. I've played around with the pattern and got what I want out of it. I finished one shirt in pewter cotton voile from Lincraft with the regulation Peter Pan collar and placket but don't have any buttons on the placket yet, so it is just sort of sewn shut for now. The second shirt I used the plain fabric I got from Kelani, it turned out to be basically a chambray: cloth woven with white thread going one way and pale brown going the other. Chambray is usually blue and it's almost a light denim. It was really nice to sew. You get what you pay for. I pushed the pattern a bit further this time, I made the collar pointed instead of rounded and I did a narrower placket, as well as leaving the sleeves off. I think it looks nice.

I've got to make one more, with the blue medallion pattern material. Just have to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking maybe instead of a placket a complete opening down the front. Probably the pointy collar again although maybe I'll try another style. Maybe shorter sleeves.



No comments: