Thursday, March 14, 2013

Nail files: favourite colours.

This is my collection of nail polishes. As you can see, fairly restrained. The bottle at the front is my favourite bottle, it's a matte topcoat I put over a lot of things. Takes the shine off if a colour is looking a bit tacky.


I love this pale pink colour. It was an impulse buy because it was on special at Big W. I like that in one light it's hard to see I have anything on but then in another light it's like shiny pearls. Subtle and classy. I put matte topcoat over the top. It lasts really well. It's the best way to cover the gross orange stains that still haven't grown out completely.


This is the nails after a week. Still in top condition. It is really hard to take photos of fingernails. I can't get true colour and there is a lot of reflection.


Then for a change, I went to dark purple. I didn't remove the pearly pink, I just put it over the top because the pink was a good undercoat. I always undercoat now. I've learnt that lesson. All the layers made a nice smooth finish because all the ridges were filled in. I do not file the ridges off my nails. because I believe in treating my nails with love and gentleness. I do not file off the top surface or cut off cuticles. However, all those layers of polish meant a really long hardening time, so I ended up smashing big dents in my thumbs and middle finger during the evening. Had to redo. Another thing I learnt, my flatmate recommended using a hair dryer to dry polish faster, but she is wrong. Heat causes bubbles, and it didn't decrease the hardening time. Not worth it.


I think light colours look better on me. I'm not a huge fan of this purple, it is too plummy and shiny. Might try the old matte topcoat trick and see if it looks better without the gloss.

2 comments:

Lucy C said...

Can you post this link on fb Nail Files please Jessica? We will be especially interested in the matte top coat.

Jessica said...

I stole your pun name :)