Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pastry review.

I like pretty food, so I'm going to blog some nice outings, just so that I can relive them. Unfortunately my camera is still lost. I hate blogging without a camera.

To celebrate delivering all my illustrations at the scan lab, a co-worker and I spent lunchtime at the patisserie over the road from it. Danks St Waterloo is a hotbed of all things arty and organic. The French House is on the corner opposite Hillsong, and it has a lovely verandah and inside it is dark wood and huge windows and well-lit displays of tarts and stuff and french music.

My hot chocolate was nice, and the froth lasted well, although it cooled down very fast - only just hot enough. It came in a fancy glass. It cost about $4. I also chose an almond tart with pretty red fruit and glaze and almond slivers all over the outside. It didn't taste as pretty as it looked, but it was nice. Maybe add a drizzle of berry compote to sweeten the dense almond meal filling, or some ice-cream on the side. Em chose a sort of 3 layer custard/cream (not sure) filled slice, which was nicer than it looked, although the pastry was hard to get onto your fork because it was hard. We shared halves, and all the tarts and pastries are about $7-$8 each. Pretty expensive. But they were bigger and nicer than the cakes and stuff from The Sweet Spot in Randwick (which I'm not much of a fan of, although the hot chocolates have superb froth) and they are almost big enough if you want to share one between 2.

It's a really nice place to sit and chat. Which is why it is so popular with women. We are going back (to collect the illustrations).

No comments: