Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bathurst: Saturday.

It was pretty complicated to organise the trains. There was confusion between countrylink and cityrail about who had what train and bus, and on Friday I made the late discovery that on the Countrylink train I had booked, I DIDN'T GET OFF AT LITHGOW. Such a close shave there, I just happened to be checking for trackwork and realised my mistaken assumption. I think that put me in a worried frame of mind, because then I was worried on Friday night about the next morning, missing the train at Central, due to missing the 372 bus which only comes every 30 min on the weekend morning. Once I was in my train seat and organised, with 25 min to spare, I was still afraid of missing the train. Like some sort of mild anxiety attack. I went to the bathroom (at Central there is a mirror missing above the centrally dividing sink so you look up and instead of seeing your face, there is an empty identical bathroom and you think you've vanished, but then you see yourself small and far away in the furthest mirror.) and then walked along the platform and back to stretch my legs before the 4 hour sit, and I had to really force myself to walk all the way to the end, against the irrational fear. It took until the train was out of Sydney before I was back to normal.

 

 Then I really had fun. Countrylink trains are a little bit more comfy than Intercity trains. The seat is a bit adjustable, you have a drop down table, and a curtain. You can buy hot breakfasts and morning teas. I was especially lucky to have the double seat to myself. I was really comfortable, because if you want to spend the morning reading, a warm sunny train with country views is all you can ask for. If I was at home, I'd be cold, sunless and viewless. This is my lovely arrangement:



Jumped off the train in Bathurst and Grandma picked me up. We went to Aldi, and then home, and then to the hospital, because Dr Susan the Eat Street family doctor reckoned my hand was infected from the scooter fall 2 weeks ago. Had an hour and a half wait to see the doctor, but got the antibiotics and walked home, and it was lovely and cool and sunny and there were autumn leaves, but I didn't have my camera.

Had soup for late lunch, and then Grandma taught me to crochet. This was a genius idea of mine. It was a nice easy thing to do together and I finally know how to make granny squares. It took til Saturday morning to get comfortable holding the wool through my fingers. I hit the wall at 4pm, completely exhausted, and was a bit of a zombie watching TV and slept like a log.