Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pining over pine.

"Get rid of it, Jess. Pine has no place in this loft. It's the wood of poor people and outhouses," — Schmidt, New Girl.


I have to say Schmidt has good lines. He is sort of a cross between Barney from HIMYM and Sheldon from BBT. Half sex-obsessed yuppy half OCD grandpa.

I am planning a bit of home repairing this weekend. I was going to wait until the curtain brackets fall right out of the wall, but now I feel like I need well supported curtains in my life. Also, I'm pretty sure that if I walk to Bunnings and then walk a bit further to Clovelly I will find a magical strudel shop. I anticipate that fixing curtain brackets in a concrete wall will be really frustrating, but magical strudel will more than offset that.

And while I'm at it, I would really like to sand back my chest of drawers and re-stain them so that they look nicer and more matchy. They are 20 years old and are neither nice nor matchy, the lacquer having been sun-tanned into a vibrant shiny orange. However, while it was ok to paint in the lounge room, I don't think that sanding is an indoor activity. Possibly I could do this out the back driveway on a nice day. Someone might own a sander I can borrow. This will involve a lot of planning. Maybe I could just get rid of it, and have fewer clothes or better storage in my wardrobe. Buying a new one is out of the question, new ones are very very expensive and also will make all my other furniture look old and daggy. So, I'm pondering the limits of my DIY capabilities.

Well now! I have found someone with a sander to lend me! And it has a bag to collect dust, so possibly I could do this in the bathroom. Or potentially having a DIY furniture restoration party with A on the weekend, if we can find a vehicle to transport our "vintage pieces" to the garage of the house she is sitting. Otherwise, the bathroom sounds like a goer.

1 comment:

Fuzzi_Sparkler said...

Magical Strudel. I googled and liked it on facebook.

crisp cherry strudel - what a delectable delight.