Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Photo Recap: To Oxford!

When we first got there it was late afternoon and our B&B was in East Oxford, so we just headed out and walked along the river, right up to the head. It was lovely. And there are big fancy boat sheds on it for the rowing clubs, and we saw people training, rowing up and down while their coach rode a bike along the side of the river and shouted at them. Rather exciting, actual Oxford rowing! But I didn't have my camera that day so I missed the rowing for you. Here is some boat sheds at a fork in the river.


Here is a big boat up at the head. Most of the houseboats were very small though. Like caravans but longer.


The river was so tranquil. I suppose the water level is very constant compared to Australia.



Punts, of course! I missed taking a photo of boys climbing over them and going punting because Oxford was the one place I didn't like looking like a tourist. I don't know what it was about Oxford, but I would have preferred to be there visiting friends or something, because I felt sort of like an invader. It's because Oxford isn't really a tourist place I guess, it's a functioning educational and cultural place. I think it would be a better place to be if there was a reason to be there, ie, study. More on that later.


But Oxford was a beautiful place just to walk around the streets and river. Plenty of photos to come!

No comments: