Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Review: Twenty-something.



I was keen to watch it. It was good. One of those things written and acted by the same little team. It reminds me of Spaced, which Simon Pegg and team wrote and acted in. Very similar subject matter, too (Spaced is not about space, take it from me). A lot of Melbourne hipster style (polka dot dresses, bike with basket). It was VERY perceptive, savagely so. I don't think I'm like them at all, but I could totally see the reality. The Jess character is scary but true: she thinks she only just left school and doesn't realise she's wasted so much time, she speaks her mind, she thinks hard work is unfair. She is a walking talking sense of entitlement. The Josh character is her follower, happy to drift in her wake. Although I mostly enjoyed the show quietly in my own head, I laughed out loud once, when Jess said "They're serving dip from a hollowed-out cob loaf, this party is going nowhere." because I love those cob dips, they do set a certain tone at a social event. 

No comments: