Friday, September 2, 2011

End of week update.

  • I need to finish some projects. I am impressively productive at starting projects, cutting something out, buying a canvass, etc, but my overflow of enthusiasm and lack of attention span means I move from one thing to the next. I don't set deadlines is the main problem. So I must sit down and list finish dates for everything.
  • You may be interested in my No Supermarket in September challenge. I shall track anything interesting here. For some reason the constant trickle of news about market dominance, ripping off farmers and customers, etc etc etc has suddenly tipped me over from apathetic disapproval to obsessive hatred. So I just need to prove something. Not very interesting so far, I've shopped at IGA instead of Coles.
  • I have also cut morning radio out of my routine. I miss the weather report, but I don't miss the talking. I listen to ABC to fall asleep but that means waking up to it as well. I never liked Adam Spencer, he's not funny, and newsradio is too depressing. This is actually an application of John Piper's fight for joy stuff. When I woke up on Monday and heard about civilians locked in a warehouse being shot, grenaded and shot again, it was the final straw. I can't deal with that when I'm still waking up. I don't like a buzzy beepy alarm and I feel weird in the quietness afterwards but it's a good thing to get used to. I will look at some kind of gentle alarm, or maybe a second clock radio tuned to 2MBS.
  • I'm back into Jillian. Sometimes in the morning, which is harder. I eat a spoonful of condensed milk to fuel up, so that I don't feel sick. I did Jillian after Jane Eyre on Wed night, and found it so easy that I did an extra circuit—skipped 6 and did 7. Each new one is the hardest. I also tried pushups without knees, and kind of did a couple, but they are about 5 times harder. But I'm getting there! Today my sides are sore.
  • I've been recording my spending since the start of the financial year. July blew out, but August was cheaper. Groceries down from $240 to $130. Once I've done a 3 month record, I'll try setting a budget.
  • And finally, I am rather excited about a show called The Joy of Sets. Get This was once the best thing in radio, possibly even better than James Valentine, and TV Burp which on one level was pretty lame was for some reason funny funny funny. The show starts filming in October.

No comments: