Monday, July 25, 2011

Vintage dress [1980s] #1

The 80s aren't that vintage, but anyway. I'm starting with the most recent pattern and working backwards. Perhaps I should look out for some patterns to fill in the gap between the 70s and the 40s? And have a whole series of dresses…

I found this material in Lincraft, although I wasn't expecting to. I had a look around their limited range and was on my way out when Elsie flicked at some fabric as she walked past it, and it caught my eye. I don't normally make decisions so easy, this was instant attraction.

It's some kind of viscose satin, not my normal stuff because I was brought up to wear natural fibres. But I could not resist the print. Giant complex paisley in green, turquoise and brown. I adore it.


I didn't cut the original pattern, I traced all the small pieces onto baking paper and just cut around the original skirt pattern. This takes a little more effort, but it keeps the original pattern in good condition and with the alternate sizes unused.

I didn't realise the fabric had a direction to the print, so I was a bit worried that because I had to lay all the pieces in the same direction and not upside down to save space I would run out of fabric, but I did, phew. Cutting the pattern and then the dress fabric took a couple of hours I think, it's pretty back-breaking work. And then I packed it all up and had a nap. Start sewing next weekend I hope.

No comments: