Friday, July 15, 2011

VINTAGE Sewing.

So I have all my ebay patterns. I'm deciding which one to sew first. The 80s dress will be the easiest, it's pretty consistent with modern patterns. But why not dive straight in to the old stuff?

I have had a look inside the 40s pattern, because I am the most excited about it, and freaked out. The pattern has never been used, it's still "factory fold". Then I realised, it's blank. It's blank tissue paper, what's the use of that?? Do I have to draw the pattern on? Then I realised, oh, there is no printing but the pieces are all pre-cut. With little holes punched out for markings. I just have to unfold 70-year-old tissue paper, match up the pieces to the instructions, and cut out fabric without damaging the patterns or holes. And then somehow fold them safely back together into the broken envelope.

First I have to figure out how much fabric to buy in inches. Wheee! This is exciting! Who needs Shabby Apple?

No comments: