Friday, June 21, 2013

Elastics.

I have a new set of elastics as well as robot wires this week. The robot wires have been painful to get used to. But the elastics are ridiculous. From back lower molars to lower canines to upper canines, in a triangle shape. I can hardly open my mouth, and when I do, there are elastics right at the front. I think this is to pull my lower teeth forward so that my teeth meet at the front. I've never had teeth that meet at the front, not that I cared. I heard somewhere that teeth that meet at the front evolved away when we got cutlery and stopped chewing meat off the bone, and most people have a slight overbite now.


http://www.orthonj.com/patient_forms/Elastics_Instructions.pdf

"For the average person, it takes 6-10 hours of pressure for the bone moving cells to start allowing the teeth to move. If you stop wearing them for even an hour or so, it takes another 6-10 hours for the teeth to start moving again. So anything less than full time wear is doing nothing to make the teeth move."

No comments: