Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Photo Recap: Lyme Regis.

This was one of the most anticipated Jane Austen locations. She lived hear for a little while, and she set significant parts of Persuasion here. Specifically, the Cobb.

We started the afternoon we arrived by walking along the foreshore and the Cobb, of course. It was stormy and exciting. Kind of scary as well. Then we ate at a pub. It had a sign saying dogs were allowed in, and all over Lyme were similar signs specifying the acceptance or not of dogs in various shops and cafes.


The next morning we went for a walk up the hill behind the town, towards the next town. We didn't go all the way. Once we had seen the views and the bluebells in the woods. It was a lovely soft still day. I fell over in the mud.


After I got changed, Matt and I split up for the rest of the day. I walked around reading a book on my ipad whenever I found a sunny spot to sit. I had a hot chocolate with cream on it after lunch.



Lyme had very narrow streets. The houses and shops were small and painted.


This is the foreshore, and the Cobb and harbour at low tide.

 

The beach.


And finally, the Cobb. It's lovely for walking, and has no guard rail. It's very beautiful.


These are supposedly the actual steps from which Louisa fell and broke her head. I am not surprised, they were extremely precarious and I was terrified of them. But maybe they have worn down over time and must have been bigger in Louisa's day.


These are some other steps, a lot safer, which I think they must use in the movie versions.

The end of the Cobb.


Looking back at Monmouth beach from the end of the Cobb.


So that was Lyme Regis. The Cobb was everything I hoped for, and Lyme was a very pleasant small seaside town. It was nice to be relaxing by this point, and not have much to do, cos we had been travelling hard for almost 2 weeks. There was only one more stop to make on the Jane Austen Adventure Tour before we departed for Namibia.

No comments: