Monday, July 2, 2012

Costume Party.

I had a costume birthday party on the weekend. I kind of groaned when I got the invite. The trouble with costumes is that I don't have a default costume I can use, so I usually do a lame half costume, because I object on principle to buying a novelty outfit for one event. But I should just sew a good Jane Austen outfit, cos I'd like that, and I could use it for these things.

Anyway, I had the happy thought indeed of going as Audrey Hepburn. I have a black dress and black high heels. I know someone else who did Audrey recently so I borrowed some accessories. And that's a costume! Tacky accessories that can go over the top of something you already own. I spent $15 and bought some fake peals and tiaras. I had spare tiaras which I let other people wear as well.

It was a fun night, because 99% of people really got into the costume thing. There was Kevin Rudd, Grease, Buddy Holly. It was very effective. There was the best salt and pepper squid I have ever eaten, it was not one bit rubbery. The birthday girl also came as Audrey Hepburn, so I made the ultimate faux pas at a costume birthday party, but whatever.