Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My weekend | book craft #2.

I had a rather lovely weekend, despite the fact that I woke up in the dark on saturday morning because it hurt to move my head. A few weeks of neck tension suddenly escalated in my sleep into a tight lock. I took a lot of neurofen and tried to do some physio stretches, and 2 days later it is a lot better. In other news, I was browsing tea in T2 Newtown, bumped a table behind me piled high with teapots, and a teapot fell off and smashed. Splendidly. People really stare at you when you smash a teapot in T2. The staff were quick with a dustpan and very understanding (read: I didn't have to pay for it, and it's probably a fairly common occurrence given the way they build such rickety towers from tea and crockery).

Remember this? It was over a year ago. Feels like 3 years ago. I've had a pile of books with holes cut in the covers sitting around doing nothing! I did progress a little bit, I managed to drill and glue string through the back cover in such a way that it holds the book shut and can hang on the wall. I did that to 2 books and got bored. Now I have finally finished them! I wrote them in the diary and ticked them off on Sunday.

I used tiny screwdrivers to bore holes in the back. Glue a piece of string inside the back cover.

Thread it through, there is the string to hang it on the wall.



Measure it so that there is enough to hang off a hook, then pull it through flat so that that length, when glued to the inside of the front cover, allows the book to open only an inch. So you can open the book to slip a picture in it, but it is held shut when you hang it on the wall.



It's very tricky. Hot glue gun dries the strongest and fastest, but obviously I burnt myself, and it's awkward because you have to glue carefully into a 1 inch gap.


I put cards in the books. Just nice cards and notes people have given me, which matched the colours.

I didn't know where to hang them, eventually I went for the hall. It already had 3 hooks so that saved sticking more up. I need one more hook and 2 books are still empty frames, but at least they are on the wall, not a pile on my todo list.


No comments: