Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Maitland Weekend.

I took 2 days off work, so it was a long weekend. JK and I went up on the Countrylink XPT on Wednesday afternoon. I've never gone to Maitland that way, and always wanted to. It's good, because although it is more expensive it feels more special, like a holiday, rather than a commute. The train goes to Brisbane. It had a lot of families on it. This is the carriage number.


I did cross stitch on the way up, which is a benefit of having lots of space and a tray table.

It was rather rainy for 2 days straight. It didn't matter much because we drove around, but it's just not as relaxing as soaking up sunshine. On Thursday we went to Pokolbin. We went to a winery shaped like a barrel of wine, but didn't get service, so hopped straight back in the car and drove to Tempus Two, which we've been to before, and it's very well laid out. First we went to the Smelly Cheese shop. This orange cheese is actually a slightly blue cheese. It was DELICIOUS. We bought 3 different cheeses.


Then we went to the tasting part. We got service, tasted about 7 wines. I was surprised that I could actually taste the difference, and pick up the things that were apparently there. I bought a wine that really does taste like lychees.

Then we popped over to the shops at Hunter Valley Gardens. I've never gone in the gardens, but the shops are not bad. There is a chocolate shop, a paper shop, kitchen shop, cafes.


Friday, we drove to Maitland, went to an op shop where I got doilies, wandered through the art gallery for half an hour. Then we went to Morpeth and had sandwiches for lunch, browsed the shops, especially the upstairs art gallery which has really nice painting for sale, and had flavoured chai.


The weekend also included JK sewing an apron, I made a pear crumble, we did Jillian, went for a walk, ate at Billabongs buffet, and watched some Blackadder II and Big Bang Theory.


Saturday was sunny! In the afternoon we drove down to a train station on the Central Coast, and caught a normal train home.


It's a lovely trip in the daytime.



The bridgeless pylons are my favourite part.



2 comments:

/Karen/ said...

So cool to be reading about your experiences in Wine Country while i am in Wine Country! I didn't get to spend long in the Smelly Cheese Shop because of Astrid, but we did pick up some yummy triple cream Brie which we ate last night with crackers. I want to go back and get more cheese!

I highly recommend the Hunter Valley Gardens. I went there with George in the summer and they were just gorgeous. We went there today and did the quick version (again, because of Astrid) and even though it was winter and there were things that were dead (or at least stripped of their leaves), it was still beautiful.

I know the vineyards aren't at their finest right now but I am rather enjoying being here. It's quiet because it's weekdays and the weather is crisp and sunny (though according to my weather program it will rain later this week) and we aren't doing too much each day. Suits me perfectly :)

Jessica said...

Yes, I'm very happy for you! I've seen your photos of the gardens. They are in a stunning location, I thought the bad weather was rather picturesque. Misty hills and dew drops.