Thursday, December 16, 2010

2 attempts at multigrain bread.

Attempt one was ridiculous. I used the no-knead recipe from before but replaced a little bit of flour with a little bit of LSA (Linseed, sunflower, almond). I let it rise on foil before putting it on the pizza stone on the foil, it stuck to the foil. Maybe I needed to flour the foil. Maybe my original idea of baking paper would work better, if I buy some baking paper. Also it didn't rise, it just cooked like a fluffy pancake. So I peeled it off, leaving the bottom crust behind, and it made some nice slices of bread which I made into a burger. Yummy. But a failure. The other half of the batch, not on the foil, worked OK.

Attempt two, I used a white bread recipe from my commonsense cookbook. It needed 4 cups of plain flour, but I only had 3 and a bit, so I did 1/4 of LSA and a little bit of SR. It was a very normal recipe: mix, knead, rise, knead a little, rise, bake. It made a massive loaf (this pic is just the last quarter of it), I baked it on a flat tray so it was wide not high. Very nice! Could use more LSA and have it a bit more fancy/healthy. I added bread improver to the flour. It stayed quite fresh for a few days, and when you toast it up on the sandwich press and butter it, it is *mwuh*.


No comments: