Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Megaweekend!

No photos because I'm not organised it's been so busy. But, another big event is behind me, my "Farewell to my Sydney Twenties" party, which was my 30th + farewell party. It went really well. It was a fast and crowded day, but my family were very helpful and I had kept it pretty simple. If I had remembered the keys to get into the hall it would have gone more smoothly, but even so, nothing was a disaster and I had a good time and I think people enjoyed it as much as I could have made them. I was pleased at the range of people who came and managed to mingle.

Making cake like soup.

Driving back up to Maitland afterwards, I decided that the next day I would start Job #2, car-hunting. I had been hoping to buy a second hand corolla via friend connections, but I missed out on it, so I without further ado I jumped into the murky waters of car dealers on Sunday. I rather enjoyed it.

I was one of the first people in to the Mazda shop on Sunday morning, and Dad came too but hung back so that I did the talking. A sales man spotted me and was super helpful. I took 3 cars for a drive. The new mazda 2 and 3, I wish there was a 2.5. The 2 is so basic, and the 3 is so much more expensive and loaded. So the car I liked was a Holden Cruze, 2012, and it was a good price and I am seriously considering it.

Then in the afternoon I went to the Toyota place. It was heaps quieter, don't know if that's a time of day thing. The sales man there was a lot cooler and frankly barely helpful enough. There is a demo Corolla I drove and it's for sale so that's another option. But then the Teacher's Carbuying Service man said demos can be a bit dodgy and it's worth getting the 2014 plate and full rego and all that. Sigh.

And then I went to church (2nd time), and it was good. It's just not easy starting at any new church. Even having been there years before, it's a different crowd of people and everyone's at different places now, so it's really a different church, and therefor although quite a few people know me I'm still essentially a new person. The sermon was good, I think I'm going to enjoy Roger's preaching, he preached on the parable of the shrewd manager and it was about money.

And I ate leftover birthday cake too late at night so I couldn't fall asleep.

Monday at work my computer came, I went to get it from the local post office with someone, so I spent the afternoon dealing with that.


Really the biggest thing in my mind is the car. I don't feel like new car people, and new car money is such a lot of my past savings, but on the other hand it's money I can save back relatively quickly now, living at home and all that. It's a big challenge to my identity as a Girl Of Slender Means, I'm now more a Woman Of Means. Turning 30, buying a car.

Here are some more pics from my new location. Tocal homestead, which I went and looked at last Friday, and a photo out the car window while I waited at roadworks.




No comments: