Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Walking Kosciusko.

We took the chair lift on Saturday morning, and did the walk to the top and back. It's 13km total, and 1 hr 50 min each way, if you stop a few times for photos and asthma and so on.


It's such a stunning landscape. Like the bleak bits of Middle Earth where a bunch of orcs on wargs attack you. Tiny flowers. Lots of rocks. The path is often a metal grill walkway, like a rusty ribbon.


I re-enacted my top of a mountain pose.


We got stickers.


The weather was nice, and I had to carry all my warm layers for no reason because even with a strong wind it was not cold. But on the way back, a storm cam down the mountain behind us. Just as we got to the chair lift, it started raining and they turned the lift off for a good 45 minutes because of the storm. So we drank the highest hot chocolates in Australia while we waited.

The chair lift is really long, very high, and a lot of fun. It's amazingly serene, floating silently through the air. So, we stayed on and went around again (yes, that was my idea). Why not, it's a very expensive all day ticket. Get your fun while you can.


We went into jindabyne for dinner, at a very expensive and strange italian restaurant. Watched Captain America on DVD. Went to church on Sunday. On Sunday afternoon I did a good couple of hours on my cross stitch, played Bananagrams, and went for a walk around the property... I saw deer, and whacked thistles with a stick and cut my hand.

On Monday my carload left at 7, which was ok because I thought at least I'll have a whole afternoon back in Sydney to go for a swim or do my grocery shopping and stuff. Such plans were doomed, as it turned out we drove into worse and worse weather as we came north, and then there was a lost car keys delay, so I got home after 3pm in the end, and had to make do with putting a load of washing on, having a hot shower and eating a chiko roll out of the freezer.

I really would like to do walks like this more often.











No comments: