Thursday, January 17, 2013

Bless the Lord, O my soul.

At Summer School we sang a new Matt Redman song called '10,000 Reasons'. As we sang the first chorus I thought "this is really good, I should look this up when I get home". That night, I realised that I wouldn't have to look it up, because "bless the Lord oh my soul, oh-oh-oh my soul" was thoroughly stuck in my head and the heads of all my housemates, for the rest of the week, and this week too*. It's that good a song, you almost start to hate it. It'll be the next 'How Great is Our God'. The tune is catchy, and doesn't have too high a range, and the lyrics are fine. The chorus is anthemic and the verses are good too—don't we all enjoy a death scene in the last verse? Yes, we do. I'm going to try the chords out at home and see if it works without a big sound, but I think it's a given. We're all going to love this song, and also get so sick of this song.


*I've found that I can conceal this from people: when I catch myself humming it I quickly turn it into either 'The Lion's Roar' by First Aid Kit or 'And So It Goes' by Billy Joel. Actually, 'The Lion's Roar' has the exact same melodic hook. What are the chances. So I just sing "and the lion's roar, the li-i-i-on's roar" instead and off I go, ear-worm short-circuited.

1 comment:

cyberiagirl said...

We sing this at the international church here. I like it to, very catchy, once you get the hang of the rhythm of the verses.