Friday, December 2, 2011

Unwrapping my books.

So my Amazon order came today! Which cheered me up immensely. Thursday was Abysmal for reasons beyond blogging. New books are rare for me because I try and read without owning. Saves money and space. But some books have to be owned. If you own them, you can lend them. And you can love them as artifacts. So anyway, new books are a very special treat.



I am halfway through The Ordinary Princess (it's a kids book) and I've had a flick though Thinking With Type. I can't remember why I ordered that, actually. Perhaps I was feeling like a design fraud for not owning an orange book about typography. Yes, that's real insecurity in my career. But I know I didn't buy it for fake cred, because then I would have got The Elements of Typographic Style cos that's the only classic I know of. However, I bought a good one. TWT is cool, but reader-friendly and not intimidating. You can flick through and learn the difference between 'cap height' and 'ascender height', and when to call it a font and when to call it a typeface. I think it will be very useful and I plan to keep it handy and point out to people things they should know.

No comments: