Friday, January 21, 2011

Fashion.

A blog I read in my rss inbox thing is Defunct Fashion. I do everyday sewing so it's not really for inspiration, it's more my interest in lady clothes from more romantic eras. And I have a good basic historical fashion framework in my head, I know where drop-waists came in and when skirts went up and when the empire waist was the rage.

One thing I've noticed: good fashion can hold its own for a long time. A pair of handmade boots from the 1800s or a cape from the 30s will still be just as stylish today.

Also, really good fashion is ahead of the trend. It doesn't just last a long time, it is ahead of its own time. Item 1, an evening dress from 1913. Beautiful, glamorous, and just typical of the turn of the century. Would still rock a red carpet or something.


Item 2, some kind of winter suit. I looked at it and thought WOW. I reckon an elegant 1920s flapper would wear it, right? Nup. It's from 1912! If you were costumer designer for the Titanic movie, you would not incorporate anything like this. That silhouette is a decade before its time. WOW again.

No comments: