Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Learning to draw.

I did a fair bit of illustration in my design course. I picked illo electives because I fancied myself as a drawer. I actually haven't done a lot of drawing at all in the 5 years since I left uni. I don't make art for fun; since design is my job I prefer to sew or play piano or other things. I've drawn things like tractors for some jobs.

Now, the only way to be a really good drawer is to draw a lot. Like getting better at tennis or knitting. Practise makes perfect. So I did a few pretty bad drawings, then a lot of mediocre drawings, and finally a presentable set of illustrations. I think there is a real difference between my stuff and stuff done by people who draw for a living and draw all the time—their ease of drawing something beautiful. Being so good that you can be simple and eloquent at the same time. I'm not there, but maybe by the time I've done 20 books…

So anyway, there was a lot of work to get good at drawing before I published a picture.

Seriously ugly:


Has potential. Simple, but too cartoony:


Too real: 


Too real… but getting there. Sister, brother, mother actually look very similar in physical appearance to the finished versions, but haven't worked out a painting style yet.

4 comments:

/Karen/ said...

Do you know if people run drawing classes for kids the way they do piano lessons or ballet?

Jessica said...

There are lots of group art classes, they are general and fun, you try different things. I did some good ones when I was little. Painting, tie-dying, lots of things.

I'm not aware of just drawing for children. Most kids teach themselves drawing, and learn other mediums in formal classes. I've struggled to find any drawing classes for adults, either. It doesn't seem much "taught".

/Karen/ said...

Pity. You'd think there would be a market for that sort of thing. Maybe an alternative career for you, Jess? ;P

Jessica said...

It's all cooking these days >:(