Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Baking round 1.

So I made the 5 minute no knead bread! It's simple in theory, you mix it and store it and bake it on a pizza stone with a bowl of water as well, and you get a sort of heavy turkish bread with a really nice crust. It goes really well with the stew I'm eating at the moment.


Kept in the fridge for a few days.
The dough is really floppy and sticky so my first one was a sort of flat mess on the pizza stone, but it baked fine. The second one I had better handling technique so got a more traditional bread shape, and it didn't make much difference to how it baked. Neither of the rose all that much, but they were still yummy. I'm exercising much restraint and making a loaf last more than one day.

Before baking.

This was the second loaf. It uses 1.5 cups of flour. The idea is, you make a batch with 6 cups of flour and bake it by the chunk as you need it. I didn't know if it would be any good, so I made a half batch (3 cups) so this is 1.5 cups.

After baking.

I will try another recipe this week, maybe one that involves kneading. I will try and buy something called Bread Improver, which bakers use. I'm starting the $2 challenge, so baking bread will save money. If I can get some multigrain happening, that would be good!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

4 comments:

apple said...

That looks great!! :)

Jessica said...

Thanks! I've got the bread improver, so I'm all ready for round 2.

Unknown said...

Babe, you gotta bake me some! I love bread.

apple said...

haha, I laugh at Elsie's use of "babe"... aha haha ha :D