Thursday, November 4, 2010

Craft in small spaces.

Craft is notoriously cluttery. You have to collect the tools and materials, and once you finish something you have leftover scraps which "could be made into something one day". So you collect small balls of wool, bits of cloth, bags of beads, especially cos none of it is cheap and it is all so pretty. But that's the best case scenario: much more likely is that you start something and get bored after 2 weeks and then 6 months later when you feel crafty again you start something else.

In my drive to own less stuff and fit better into my room, I turned to my craft bags. My mum had a sewing room and a whole linen cupboard full of craft and clutter, I'm trying to contain my stuff to a small corner.

Hence, most of the sewing that I am blogging about is an attempt to clear out unfinished projects, use up scraps, or 'upcycle' clothes. I've got a cross stitch I started when I was 10, quite large, almost finished and not particularly to my taste anymore. I've got some patchwork which needs to be quilted. Unfortunately, if I finish projects like these I won't have more space, because a quilt or a picture is big, but at least they will be out of the sewing corner. And I get a sense of achievement. And something to blog.

No comments: