Sunday, October 25, 2015

More thoughts on busyness, efficiency, and space.

Article from Gotherefor about the goodness of busyness, challenging the default of grumbling about it. Personally I find the challenge is not grumbling about being busy, but grumbling about being TIRED from the busy. I really try not too. I know I've got nothing to boast about in the tiredness department because I get good sleep.


I've listened to a couple of podcasts from ABC, one on being efficient at work, I like this sort of thing, I find it comforting to listen to and I am a strong believer in decluttering, short meetings, unsubscribing from email. You can look at efficiency as a way of fitting more in, being more productive, but also, a bit of discpline makes life simpler, actually. If you are discplined about unsubscribing from emails, you have a much less overwhelming inbox. Whether an emptier inbox makes you more productive I don't know, but it certainly promotes calm. I'd rather see promotions and news in my facebook feed where I can note them as I scroll past, than in my inbox where they need to be clicked on, decided on, deleted.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/a-busy-life-to-the-good-life/id206169790?i=350166973&mt=2

The second podcast was about busyness. Not a lot in it, but I like the challenge again to the attitude that goes along with busy. "I'm busy and it's all very important and stressful". What about stopping, putting your shoulders back, smiling at others, and maybe you wont feel like a drudge anymore.


A Missy Higgins song that has been floating in my mind recently, and I wanted to listen to it again. Everyone's Waiting. It's a beautiful song, I think it's about the pressure to produce stuff, and carving out space to reflect. The video is a lovely metaphor too, fighting through waves, then sinking under them where it's still.


Because I was too pov to have a computer or internet at home for many years, I used my work computer as my personal computer. It's a good place to have your music library anyway I think, so you can listen while working. But now, at last, I have untangled my personal from my work computer – the Apple IDs and the email accounts and the iTunes. I've logged out of Facebook, so that to check it I don't just have to type F in the browser – I have to type in my password, which is a good extra step to have to make it not worth the effort. Work computer is very clean now.

Update on the kitten of home group: 4 weeks.


Update on the garden. I didn't get many colours of sweet pea, only the old fashioned variety came good, the pale pink and pale purple, with more scent than colour. I've picked them regularly.


A few of the random plants I hoped were poppies turned out to be poppies! They bloom and die very quickly. 





 Going to have some tomatoes this summer! Which is my motivation to keep watering and caring for the garden now the peas are gone. I could do more but I spend my time pondering the construction of garden beds and doing nothing. The main game in summer is mowing. Mow mow mow. Every 2 or 3 weeks. I can't decide if its worth it, should I pave once I've build garden beds, but I'm afraid the result will be a hot paved oven. Colour bond fences and pavers, ugh. I really want to be sure I've got enough green things to compensate for before I lose the grass.


JK and I had burgers and then washed both our cars.


Did some drawing this weekend as well.

No comments: