Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Various foods and Tamworth.

Sound at church. I think I've got it. I've done it under supervision for maybe 5 Sundays, every second week. I think I'll be able to do it by myself, so now I'm just going to be rostered once a month. I'm feeling good about it. I've learnt something technical. It's a way of serving church with my skills that isn't my MAIN strength, piano, but is kind of related, and I mostly enjoy it. I did it back at the cathedral but I burned out in tears after a couple of months and haven't done it since because it is THE most thankless job. I'm feeling postive about sustaining it this time.

I love going for a walk to the trainline at sunset. Because I miss walking home from work.



New dress. I'm pleased with a dress I bought at the markets because it a) matches my taste perfectly b) fits which is rare at markets and c) was $50!



Visited a chocolate cafe on Darby St with JK.


Decided to use this broken stool M brought home as a rack for hanging worn clothes on! It is in my wardrobe. I was so excited for about 48 hours.


Work social club organised a tour of the dairy with soup and damper.


I had a spontaneous bunch of flowers from Denise! And since I went away for the weekend I gave them to mum because there were beautiful proteas which she likes.


North West Bible Conference. I was really hoping to go to it, then I thought I couldn't, but then I had a place to stay with JK so I went!

I got my hair washed, cut and blowdried on Friday before I went away so I didn't have any hair maintenance while I was there. I should do that every conference. Except now I'm short I'll be growing hair out for the summer again. We got to Tamworth about 9pm on Friday night and had woodfired pizza at Pig and Tinderbox with some friends. 

I love conferences, not everybody does, and I'm a bit introverty, but I just love them anyway. I like getting bible teaching at a different level or in a different way to what I get at church, just the density of hearing a set of talks back to back and getting a big picture is something I love. Large singing is good too. I had nice people to hang out with there like JK and my sister and their staff team. And I was excited to go to Tamworth for the first time.


Hospitatily of the Tamworth church was so good, so much attention to detail. Quality music, not too overwhelming program. John Woodhouse preached on David and Bathsheba and Uriah. The food was good, like this sweet potato with pulled pork and coleslaw. Like gourmet street van food!


I made some cinnamon scrolls on the last morning for the girl we stayed with. They were a bit more labour intensive but better with some shaping so the butter didn't leak as much.


This is how I normally do them, cut into strips and twisted. The rose shape above is better I think.


Organised a fancy tea tasting high tea type thing at work with S + N.


I am enjoying all the Agatha Christie on GEM at the moment. 2 nights a week! Tuesday has back 2 back Poirot and Marple, and Wednesday has an old movie with like Angela Lansbury, David Niven, Lauren Bacall, Maggie Smith people in them.

3 comments:

bec said...

Beautiful dress!

And I enjoy those things about conferences too. Large singing is wonderful, especially if you go to a smallish church. And getting a deep, rich slab of Bible teaching all in one go. Yum. Looking forward to Engage! :D

/Karen/ said...

Why is sound desk thankless?

Jessica said...

I get really perfectionist about the sound mix, and there's no limit to how much it can be tweaked and improved, (whereas when you are on powerpoint you know you've clicked every slide or when your on music you play the songs and sit out the rest of the service, sound is going the whole time and twiddle twiddle twiddle) and the energy that takes isn't returned in any way like via endorphines when you've played the piano well. Plus it's long and tiring, you work before church, during church and after church. Plus sound people are just rarely thanked.