Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Journalling, birthday.

I recently decided to start journalling. I've been kind of disdainful of journalling in the past, and I blog anyway, but I've got that nice free Kikkkik k diary, and I just keep it next to my pillow. When I go to bed I write down some stuff from the day. What I did, what I am excited about, something wise somebody said that I want to remember, something I realised, the take-home point from bible study or whatever.


The other thing I've done is a mind map. I did one before my job interview. So I did one one night last week, wrote down: significant events I'm processing, fears, frustrations, situations or options where I need wisdom, things I'm thankful for, goals and hopes, etc. Then prayed through it all. That was a useful process.


Brooke Fraser's new album is on heavy rotation for me. I didn't buy it for ages because I didn't like the first 2 songs I heard. But now I've got it, I like every other song, even with the different sound. I like Bloodrush, which is elevating, and Brutal Romance and New Histories which are more reflective (I get the line "Love and death, and death and love" going round and round in my head), and I like Magical Machine which is fun nonsense. I don't see any Christian subtext in these songs, which is a reason why the earlier albums are right next to my heart, but for now and this point in my life this is a very good album.

This is from one of my favourite classic BF songs, Shadowfeet. I remember when I first saw it on Video Hits.
Walking, stumbling, on these shadowfeet
towards home, a land that I've never seen
I am changing; less and less asleep
made of different stuff than when I began
And I have sensed it all along
fast approaching is the day...

When the world has fallen out from under me
I'll be found in you, still standing
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees
when time and space are through
I'll be found in you


The big event for me was my birthday. Quite nice. Work didn't find out until afterwards but somebody brought cake on Monday which was nice, so my actual birthday day was very low-key. Enjoyed dinner with family and JK and M. Very happy with my presents (things I asked for like car washing stuff and Endeavour, and nice things other people thought of like scarves and fairy lights and colouring in postcards). Housemate cooked French Toast for Saturday breakfast!


The big event for work was the graduation on Friday (I expect this will always clash with my birthday!) which involved my team hosting lunch for the external student grads, then graduation ceremony in the great hall. Quite a tiring day.


On the weekend a couple visited from Sydney to work the election, so I didn't see them until Sunday morning, but it was nice to have them stay.

I saw the Cinderella movie with JK and we enjoyed it a lot. It's pretty much the same as the cartoon in terms of plot. It doesn't make it a darker or more epic good/evil battle. It's just about duty to parents and being in a disfunctional family and having personal integrity and magical clothes. Lily James I thought was perfect for Cinderella because she seemed to be 100% thrilled with her giant skirt and she wore glitter well. There was a LOT of glitter. I think I prefer Ever After for my ideal Cinderella though.

I did a lot of card-making! I have long been wanting to declutter by turning craft supplies into handmade cards. And I never make cards when I need them because it's too last minute. Now I have over 20! I need envelopes.


At church I learnt the sound desk. That is such a long, tiring, thankless job. I now remember why I gave it up last time. So I don't think I'll do it heaps, but right now there is a gap because the two main guys are working weekends.

Generally at the moment I'm feeling like the year is underway and the ups and downs have evened out. Which is good. Life course is over so Monday Jillian with R is back. Cello is over for the term too. So I've got a bit more breathing space at the moment!

And I've decided to say Yes to spontaneous invitations, because I've got a lazy introverty negative default. So I think my default should be Yes.

No comments: