Friday, March 6, 2015

Equanimity. Garden. Hospitality.

Last Saturday I went out to the Putty Road where a sister was house sitting. We went for a walk near this Aboriginal cave painting Baiame.


It was a long way away and there are some interesting farming landscapes and open cut mines in the area. So it was a nice day trip.

I’ve got a normal life now. No upheavals looming. 12 months of transition is coming to an end, it’ll just be that week-in week-out life again. Normal life means sometimes being serene, grateful and contented, and sometimes being flat, ranty and irked. In particular I’m trying to catch myself when I’m mentally ranting and pray about it, because I don’t like that feeling of obsessing over a negative issue. I had a funny lightbulb moment a few weeks ago, I was looking at another failed attempt at daily bible reading and prayer, ie, the new years resolution that didn’t last, and thinking “I really should pray for so much stuff, but whats the point, I never maintain he habit, It’s doomed to failure, there’s no point trying to pray, I FAIL”. And then I realised, what is prayer for? Asking a loving and powerful Father God for help. It is SO hard to see things through the grace lens not the works lens. So I’m giving it a go. I think. I haven’t noticed a dramatic change, I don’t have a daily habit now, but I think I’m praying about things a bit more.


Percy after he stuck his head under the shower

I think the change in season will be good.

Since I made the decision to buy a laptop instead of a garden, I feel a bit sad that I won’t have a garden. Because March is when you plant peas and sweet peas, and that’s the one thing I want to grow. It’s on my home-owner yard-owner bucket list. They are something I know I can grow, they grow fast and it’s satisfying, and I like to eat peas and pick sweet pea flowers. So, I have decided that I’m not going to wait for the money to build a proper raised garden bed, I’m just going to kill a patch of lawn, dig in some compost or something, and plant some seeds. It’ll all be dodgy and temporary but it will be something to enjoy. Here are some BEFORE photos for the record. Watch this space.


Maddie and I invited Eddie over for dinner. This is lasagna in my new baking dish, we ate at my new table. 3 is the number of proper chair and matching plates we have.


I put mint and ice in glasses! How classy is that.

No comments: