Monday, December 31, 2012

Pumpkin cashew dip.

One of the things that bothers me in this first world is quantity discounts. The 2 for $6 bags of freddos, the 2 for $6 cashew dips. Which inspired me to try and MAKE a cashew dip.

I looked at the bottom of a delicious dip Anna brought to work, roast pumpkin cashew and parmesan. In the ingredients it said 35% pumpkin, 30% cashew, then canola oil, garlic, white vinegar, 4% parmesan, chilli and spices, preservative. That's pretty much a recipe! And I already had pumpkin, cashews and parmesan!

Here is my recipe adaptation, made with my George Foreman grill and pestle+mortar.

Pumpkin 35% ~ 1/3 cup cooked
Cashews 30% ~ 1/3 cup crushed
Canola oil ~ olive oil, enough to make it soggy
White vinegar ~ maybe 2 teaspoons
Parmesan cheese 4% ~ 1 tablespoon
Garlic ~ 2 cloves cooked and crushed
Chilli ~ "Mexican spices" I found in the spice cupboard
Salt
Water

It's dip is about as easy a guacamole. And it would be quite impressive in a social situation, to bring it home made gourmet cashew dip. And not expensive once you have vinegar and spices.




2 comments:

cyberiagirl said...

I miss my mortar and pestle.

BTW, did it taste good?

Jessica said...

Yes it was yummy! A bit more pumpkinish, and not identical in spice to the shop one, but nice in a homemade, authentic sort of way. I'd like to know what spices are in the shop one.

I won this M+P in the work secret santa swap game one year. It was hard fought.