Monday, December 10, 2012

Made after Melbourne Cup: doona cover.

I answered the phone at work last Friday and it was actually a friend, Mike, and while we were catching up he asked me if I had started and finished something after Melbourne Cup. Remember that time I blogged that? Don't just spend the end of the year winding up; tick something off? Mike was all over it, doing something handy with insulation. Impressive! I was planning on using up leftover varnish on my bed frame, but I can't decide. I need a second opinion. However, I have been making a new doona cover! I bought a big piece of fabric in Africa which has been in the cupboard for 6 months. On that really hot Saturday I bought 2.5m of sheeting for the back and sewed it together. I finished it off this weekend.

The thing is, personal projects don't have strong deadlines like the things you do for work or for other people. You sometimes just have to have a deadline so you can get the thing done and out of the way, once the first burst of initiative has worn off.

Here is the making of the doona cover. Put front and back material on the floor, and put the old doona cover on top. Cut around it, with a bit of extra space for seams.


You need 3 sides sewn together and a hemmed opening at the bottom.


Raid the random button collection for 3 big plastic press studs saved from a previous doona cover.


Sew them into the opening while you watch DVDs.


No comments: