Friday, December 7, 2012

Enjoying:

There are several things I am excited about but have been slow to post or late on the bandwagon so I'm not the first with the news. Firstly:

The Lizzy Bennet Diaries: a youtube blog version of P&P which has been running most of this year. I was slow checking it out, and I regret not getting on board sooner. If you start now you can catch up to shortly after Darcy's unwelcome declaration. It's really well cast, in fact they have made Lydia so loveable (adorbs) that I wonder how they can bear to bring her down. If you are an Austen expert there are a lot of clever little nods to minor characters; all the characters have twitter/pinterest/tumblr as appropriate, which reveal interesting clues: we haven't met Gigi Darcy yet but her twitter account has been going since April, full of breakup songs… hmm! I'm obsessed with a certain hat of Jane's.  Hats I can't have make me sad.

 You can watch a fun summary of all the Darcy dress-up.

7 comments:

cyberiagirl said...

I am enjoying the series too, but I don't know about Lydia... I love the character in the series, but she seems pretty far removed from the original.

Fuzzi_Sparkler said...

I just watched 20 episodes...

bec said...

oh...my...goodness. A friend has been tweeting about this and I didn't check it out, you know when there's just vague noise about something and you don't pay attention to it and then eventually someone else mentions it and you think I should probably check it out and suddenly you're like, OH THIS IS THE BEST?

That's where I'm at now. Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Jessica said...

My pleasure! Enjoy the catch-up binge!

I don't think Lydia is that far removed at all. Replace "Officers!!" with "Swim team abs!!" and it's quite funny. I only think that people love her more than Lizzie, which I agree is a long way from the original...

cyberiagirl said...

But she clearly has low self-esteem and issues of being forgotten and abandoned in the web series that are not in the book at all. Those issues are being presented as the reason she's acting the way she does. Introducing or changing the motivation of a character is a major difference.

Jessica said...

True. Those bits did surprise me. Austen only portrays people as silly or sensible, and Lydia is silly, that's that. This Lydia, we have to sympathise with her. Maybe the writers have to raise the stakes emotionally given that pre-marital sex alone isn't going to rock the boat these days? And whatever happens instead has to be pivitol and shocking.

cyberiagirl said...

I'm assuming it's a 'get girls pregnant and then leave them' habit that Wickham has in this series. I am rather worried about what is coming for Lydia; you don't feel that she deserves it as much in this re-telling! ;p