Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Banjo music.

I'm going to the Mumford and Sons concert this week. I think it'll be good, I think they'll be a tight band. M&S seem a lot like Coldplay to me, they both started out alternative and got mass appeal, they sing with a sort of raw throat, the lyrics are mostly ambiguous, occasionally epic, so you can both read your own meanings in AND feel like the singer is singing something important.

M&S has been a good way into the bluegrass side of folk. I've been enjoying other bands rather more. The Avett Brothers, Paul Kelly + Stormwater Boys, and Punch Brothers. There's a theme with the fraternal-sounding names in this genre. Currently, the latter group are top of my playlist. I like some of their songs because they they keep me guessing with chords and time sig. It's a sort of more intricate music than Mumford. They go in for long instrumentals, as well, so I find it nice for work music.



Did I embed a song? I'm so bad at it. Here is the link, if not. I wonder why all these young men spent their youth getting good at the mandolin and the banjo. They could have had no clue that it would get cool. I wonder what the instrument is that kids should be practising now, to reap the rewards of coolness in 15 years time? The flute? Brass band instruments? A synth?

Here's another Punch Bros one, because I think I've remembered how to do it.

No comments: