Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finishing the pilgrimage.

From Bath we drove back east to find a white horse, one of the big chalk horse shapes carved into the hillside at various places. We found the one Cherhill and then walked towards it in the rain.Then we drove south to Lyme Regis, which is a seaside town where Persuasion is partly set. I love Persuasion so this was a key milestone on the journey. Here is what I typed while staying there:

It is Tuesday, and I have today realised one of my many small dreams. I have walked along the Cobb at Lyme Regis. Hurray! Several times, actually. It can be a bit scary, because it's high and slopy with no railing, and the churning sea on one side can make me a bit dizzy, but when it's low tide it's very safe. There have been no waves crashing over it like in scenes from Persuasion, which is a good thing because I do not have a greatcoat. I have been climbing up and down the steps, except not the weird stone peg steps, the Cobb is adventure enough.

This morning Matt and I did a little walk towards charmouth but not all the way. I did a Marianne and fell over, except that it wasn't raining and there was no Willoughby to carry me and I didn't hurt my ankle anyway. Really I just slipped in the mud, and got mud on my jeans and hands and into my shoes. So I changed into a skirt to wash and dry my jeans leg, and I feel that a fluttery skirt suited my cobb-walking after all. Jeans have no romance. That's probably why there was no Willoughby when I fell over in them.

Pastry is popular in this area, also, I finally accepted cream on top of my hot chocolate, mmmmmmmm. I have been mooching from place to place along the beach and around Lyme, eating ice cream and fudge and reading a book on my iPad
.

On Wednesday we drove back towards London, and on the way we stopped at Stonehenge and took photos through the fence in the rain, because why pay good money to get even more wet by walking a few feet closer. then we drove past another white horse by accident! Then we went to CHAWTON, where I visited Jane Austens house museum, which is amazing. So amazing. They had so many things, like a quilt the Austen ladies made, her writing table, a lock of hair, jewellery, and it was done so simply and respectfully, not all gushy.

On Thursday we did nothing, except return our car and take a photo with the tardis at Earls Court Station and go to Heathrow really early, because what can you do in London with luggage? nothing, the airport is the only place you can fit in. And then we flew away! We saw so many things... The London Stone, the Tower and the crown jewels, a squirrel and a pheasant and a robin several times, bluebells, the Cobb, 2 houses Jane Austen lived in, many museums, 2 white horses, many places where Harry Potter and Jane Austen things were filmed, Matilda the musical, a tardis, thatched cottages, hedgerows, rain, English breakfasts, so many things. I shall post some nice photos later.

No comments: