Thursday, August 25, 2011

Foodness.


First, this is a photo of my family's traditional special porridge. Cook porridge, (when it's cooked I stir in some seeds or psyllium or something but not essential, just a healthy bonus), sprinkle a teaspoon or two of brown sugar on it, then shake some allbran (sticks) on top. This isn't really for the fibre, it's for the crunch. AND THEN, if you are feeling special, drizzle condensed milk on top. I usually save some condensed milk when I'm cooking, just for this breakfast. Put cold milk on to taste, but I try not to get the sticks soggy.

In a wild moment of carefree indulgence I opened a tin of condensed milk just to put a bit on my porridge this week. This is totally living on the edge, consequences can ride to heck. It is very unlike me to open a whole tin just for one spoonful of a treat, with no consideration of what to do with the rest of it. 


Anyway, here is my real cooking adventure: onde onde. You can buy it made, 6 balls for $3.50, or you can buy all the ingredients to make hundreds of balls for about $3.75, as long as you already have desiccated coconut. Mine was old and yellow so I bought fresh stuff anyway.

You have to pre-make little balls of palm sugar (which is like brown sugar but finer and sort of not as nice) and freeze them. Like frozen sugar peas. I do that in front of the TV at night. It's fiddly. Then, on the day, you make dough (glutinous rice flour, green pandan paste and water) and roll little balls and push the sugar peas into them and drop them in boiling water. When they float to the top, scoop them out and roll them in the coconut. Done! They don't refrigerate or store well at all, you only have a day or 2 to eat them. But you can roll the balls and put them in the freezer, then boil them as you need them.






2 comments:

Ali said...

Jess, those little balls of greeness look and sound really weird. Don't know that gelatinous flour and lumps of sugar is for me, but if it takes your fancy ...

I recently bought a tube of condensed milk, because I didn't need the whole tin, then eventually had to throw it out, because even after a few finger swabs of it, I couldn't eat the whole tube. Never thought to put it on my breakfast ...

Jessica said...

It comes in tubes!?

I forgot to say what they eat like. The sugar liquifies, so you pop it straight into your mouth — biting leads to squirtage. And Pandan is a really nice subtle flavour. And they are soft and kind of chewy. Not everyone likes them, but they are a current craze here at the office.