Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Baked Chocolate Cheesecake.

My first cake-baking of the year.



I had a freak out. The recipe for the cheesecake said bake 45 min or until firm to touch, there were no different instructions for the chocolate version, and my cheesecake was wobbly. I should have asked Little, who is the cheesecake club president, because she now tells me it is normally wobbly. But I was worried. Then I realised that my philly cream cheese was really Philly cream for desserts. Double cream alternative. It was in a Philadelphia tub, and it was super thick like cream cheese, so was it cream cheese just pretending to be double cream? I still don't know. Probably ideally shouldn't have baked it though.


My backup plan was to freeze it, if it didn't set, and call it bavarian. I have done this before when I made a chocolate non-baked cheesecake, and got to the end and realised I couldn't whip the cream and add it because it was already in there, from right at the start. The cheesecake was chocolate soup, but it froze up deliciously.

But this morning it has set! it's a little bit cracked on top which apparently means overcooked but that's not a disaster with cheesecake, according to Little. Cheesecake is quite forgiving like that. All that fat content, it's hard to go wrong. It doesn't need to be hot and fresh from the oven, you don't need to put a skewer in it. As long as you preferably buy the right ingredients and follow the recipe, you will have delicious success and abundant cooking cred for cooking something quite easy!


The eating result was rather wet, sloppy in the centre, described by some as "mousse" and others as "chocolate custard". Didn't have that cheese edge to it, but it was chocolatey and nice. I'm interested to try it with proper cream cheese.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sigh. I missed out on your handiwork.

Jessica said...

Well, I could be encouraged to cook it properly...