Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Looking for music.

Sometimes I want some more music. I go on the hunt. I trawl through itunes "listeners also bought" links and listen to samples. I also listen to ABC Dig radio, and hear things I like and look them up. And also, if someone I like, like Brooke Fraser, mentions a band on twitter or something, I look them up. So The Civil Wars is pretty nice, sort of like an American Swell Season. I have bought 2 tracks from TCW to dip my toe in, but I'm not sure if they are for me. It's so hard to know, because I've realised I am very deceptive in my tastes. I have no idea if I only like something or I really love something until I've bought it. It's all good music and I like it all, but will I wear it? Is it me? Sometimes it's music I like because it's cool and cool people like it, but it isn't me, which is a disappointment. The Swell Season was that. Whereas, Hem, I just found it and loved it, even though it has some elements I find daggy. So I'm really trying to just find stuff myself and not be influenced by peer music taste, which is currently based around what I call "drummy-woo-woo music", or anything with banjos. I listen to samples for a few days in a row, to try and get past first impressions of like and see if it's love before I commit and put it on my ipod.

No comments: