Thursday, April 14, 2011

Risen.

Second impressions.

Well, a second hearing helps me like the hookless songs a bit better. They do make a bit more sense now. I stand by only really liking the last 2 songs. I'd say the album is OK, with 2 songs worth considering for church. This is possibly because I tend to like morose hymns (currently my favourite hymns are Hard Times and It Is Finished from Come O Spirit Anthology) better than rock ones. Eg, I hate the boppy 80s/90s version of Holy Ho-oly Holy with the "praise him and lift him up" (nananananananana) and prefer the antique version "Holy holy holy, Lord God Almighty, early in the morning my song shall rise to thee…". Because which tune actually matches the word "Holy"?? The boppy one or the grand one? But some people prefer happy songs. Some people will do Never Alone boppy and try and clap along. TO JESUS' DEATH.

I'm preferring simple, direct lyrics at the moment. Risen is quite lyric heavy. Big piles of long words wash over people, even when they sing them. That's where the modern chorus wins, because sometimes less is more. And old-school ones like Nothing but the blood or I have decided to follow Jesus are cool. Not overly poetic, just honest statements. "The world behind me, the cross before me, no turning back, no turning back". So much Christian music is surprisingly good, if you can find non-daggy versions of the songs.

I shall listen to Risen a little bit more and report any developing changes in opinion.

No comments: