Monday, February 21, 2011

Spoils.

On Saturday I managed a trip to The Fabric Store which is near Central Station and I found 2 good cloths, which I'll show you later when I've started the projects, and even better there was 50% off! It was my first visit to The Fabric Store, and I liked it. The staff were very friendly, and I was given some bonus cloth because I wanted 2m and there was a little leftover on the roll... this is good fabric store etiquette. It's bad form to keep the last 30cm strip or whatever is left and sell is as an offcut. Give it to the customer, and she'll be a friend for life. Tessuti has been good to me in the past with pretty japanese fabrics, which TFS didn't have much off. But they had many useful things I still liked. It's handy having both shops so close to each other.

And I found my camera so I can show you my bible covers. One is a small hardcover, which was a challenge. I made the inside flaps a bit bigger and sewed them on in a sort of gathery way. It doesn't look as good as the paperback covers do, which really fit nice and flat. Still very effective though.



 Then I made a big sized bible cover for my flatmate. Unfortunately, I cut the fabric wrong, it was the same size as the vilene, so it didn't fold over the edge. I was crushed, and I had to ruin the lovely blue look with a contrasting colour because I ran out of blue. I used brown, and it's a bit masculine looking now, but my flatmate still likes it. And I'm proud of how I worked out how to put the strip in the middle and also turn it into the button flap, in one piece. It was a feat of engineering, and Fi who came over to sew with me last Saturday was very helpful, because I wasn't able to think ahead very far.

No comments: