Thursday, February 24, 2011

Remaking shirt project #2.

This is the shirt remake I did on Monday and Tuesday nights, with the red stuff I bought on the weekend at The Fabric Store. First, this is what it looked like on the inside before I took it apart:


Because the pattern said to use interfacing, but the vilene I used was too heavy and made the shirt stand up on my like armour.  I cut the shirt yoke open, ripped out the vilene and sewed it up roughly. I used up the leftover vilene on bible covers. That's what I've been wearing for the last year! I'm not bothered by stuff if nobody can see it, although if it can be seen I want it to look proper.


So on Monday I just unpicked the shirt to retrieve the main panels of butterfly print, recut them a little bit and then cut new red bits for the yoke and waist. The new fabric I bought is a more faded red to match the now faded fabric better, and it is also quite light. In hindsight, some light interfacing would be useful here, because the hidden seams and gathers show through a bit, but it's OK.



This is the old yoke next to the new yoke.


This is the finished shirt.


No comments: