Friday, February 11, 2011

Neat is nice!

I realised ages ago that neatness is nice. It requires HUGE discipline to straighten your hair, tidy your room, hang up clothes straight away, and sort out paper rather than leave it around to decide later, etc etc. But the reward is personal satisfaction, good first impressions on others, fewer times when you can't do something because of the mess, and more chance of being calm and organised.

Then I forgot my enlightenment, got obsessed with something else, and my default blindness took over for various reasons. There are particular areas of messy I now want to fix, though. My bedroom, and my desk at work. Housesharing demands that common house areas remain neutral, if not sparkly, so it's just the personal spaces that I let go a bit. And it would be nice to be neat. It doesn't cost money, it doesn't require imagination.  I don't want to be self-righteous about it, like I am about punctuality, maybe I can just take a little of my analness from timelyness and put it to good use in tidyness.

I confess I am a little bit inspired by Emma Pilsbury, but I don't want the OCD. Just some general neatness.

No comments: