Tuesday, July 1, 2014

House hunting.

I wrote this a few weekends ago, it got delayed.

E came up for a visit, which was lovely! There were no markets on or anything exciting like the weekend before. But we went house hunting which was useful and interesting. 5 houses. Also the farmers markets. But mainly open houses. The day was quite useful because I've realised I'm still clarifying my needs. I love old characterful houses, but not cold dark houses; light and warmth are a priority so in the end a newer house is better built for that. What to do. Also for being low maintenance because I'm not the person who actually wants to renovate. But newish houses are kind if sterile and samey. All grey and puce inside. I've got more style than that. Does that matter? I don't know.

I've got a bit of a list
  • Location (one preferred suburb)
  • Aspect (lots of north for light and warmth)
  • Size (small for easy Maintenence and also minimalism)
  • Price (I want a really manageable mortgage, not a stressful debt)
  • Ready (in good condition so I don't have to spend money fixing)
  • Garage (I have pretty car).
There are things I am optional on. Brick or wood. Backyard or not (I would like avocado trees but I don't like mowing, so it's ok either way). House or unit. Fancy kitchen or old one, fancy bathroom or old one, etc.

Courtyard or garden:

Charming or functional:


Recently I did some training at work in procurement, which is basically protocols for spending money. I found the framework quite helpful: VALUE FOR MONEY has two parts: FIT FOR PURPOSE and WHOLE OF LIFE Cost. Also a section about really evaluating your requirements. So it's quite helpful for clarifying things when house shopping.

There are two sides to my personality. The side that is frugal and wants to make a wise decision, based purely on economics, risk minimisation, analysing all potential benefits. And the side that dreams of just living in a place that's exactly what I want. Smallish, oldly characterful but also modernised and up to date, a good place to own a piano and do creative things home, my green wing backed lounge chairs look good in it, I can grow some things but not own a lawnmower, and I can walk to the shops. Probably has French windows. Hahahahaha. I wonder what are the chances that the perfect place exists. So it then becomes about trade offs, which takes me back to economics. 

The nice thing is the market is going nowhere. There isn't that panicky depressed feeling when you can't find something and meanwhile everything is being sold and getting more expensive and it's all dog eat dog. Things just sit there and the price drops a bit. I can just wait.

Obviously I really need to process stuff! Also, I'm trying to keep it in perspective and not get overly obsessed or worried about it.

In other news, I have a new hobby: weaving. When E was here we watched Person of Interrst and mum and I set up a loom and E curled my hair. Such fun!


Also I cooked some amazing porridge, like at the kasbah cafe. It has banana and coconut and cinnamon and honey and brown sugar. Quite wonderful. 

No comments: