Monday, February 3, 2014

SO OBSESSED WITH MINIMALISM

It's a rebellion against materialism. Although the people who are best at it are the people who live alone. Other people wreck the purity. But when I look at my stuff, I need it you know. I want pictures on the wall and wool to crochet. I don't think I can do true  minimalism as a creative person.

Getting ideas off blogs like this one. http://www.theminimalists.com/fool/ This idea is intriguing.  My frugal nature rebels but I agree with the logic. Paying full price would require actually thinking about how much I need it. Although there is a danger that you end up just as materialist but in a different direction: you only have 1 coat but it's the perfect coat!!! it's still being obsessed with stuff, only in smaller amounts of stuff.

On the other hand, I have realised that I already am QUITE minimalist. If I had a linen cupboard, it would not a very full linen cupboard. It's just that I feel crowded with stuff because it's all in my bedroom built-in. So I'll stick with the slow and steady Daily Bin thing and see where it takes me.

I hit the wall on the weekend with some sentimental things though. In theory, they're useless. Drawings and letters and so on. Should I keep them forever? Just to look back on every so often? I think that's OK. But really they are useless and I rarely enjoy them. At least I've already got rid of the mediocre ones. And I find that every time I try and throw things away but cant, I get a bit closer to the day I suddenly do throw them away. I threw out my first camera on the weekend. I couldn't throw it out last time I decluttered, even though I took photos of it. But now, chucked. It didn't take good photographs.

No comments: