Monday, November 25, 2013

Circle of 5ths.

I had a very full week. So on Sunday I stayed in bed awhile, then did Jillian, then watched Doctor Who, then made shortbread for the first time, then went to piano-teaching and music practice and church.

It was my second week as a piano teacher again. I'm the girl's second teacher, there is some good foundation work done by the first teacher. She checks the time signature and counts herself in to every song. She doesn't practice much though. I drew a table for her to tick the days she practices this week. I think I'll have a sticker system to reward practice.

Best thing was, I taught her her first scale, C major, right hand, one octave up and back, which she liked, and then I explained the circle of 5ths, which made her eyes just light up! I didn't learn that until high school, but young kids will really grasp onto concepts like that, it's a simple pattern so it makes sense. And making sense of things is important. I'm going to teach her scales in order of the circle of 5ths and she'll always be able to remember that and have a big head start on key signatures.

Back to the shortbread. I used less butter than the recipe and also used glutinous rice flour instead of normal rice flour. It worked. Mainly I need to work on rolling it out not too thin. It's very delicious though.

No comments: